Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Birthing from Within: Part II

We just finished up our last birthing class last night.  It has really been a blessing to learn more and gain confidence about the whole process.  I have a lot to be thankful for, especially our sweet friends, the Sraders, who have taken care of Emme every Tuesday night so that we could go without paying for a sitter.  I am also so thankful for the wisdom of the midwives, Betty and Jean, and birth assistant, Marissa.  It never ceases to make me smile when I hear them add in things like, "That is the way God intended it..." or "We believe God designed things this way..." etc.  It is so cool to know that the people that will be with you during one of the most vulnerable times in life also share your faith in the Lord.  I "graduated" yesterday evening feeling excited and very much looking forward to JB's arrival, and ready to put into practice the tools that I have gained over the past 6 weeks.

Last night we got to talk a lot about post partum care and breastfeeding, both of which were really important topics for me personally, so it was great to have a whole class devoted to that.  I feel so much more prepared, and while of course you can never predict what birth will look like- it seems as though I have many more ways to cope and remain flexible this time around.  I can't explain how different it all feels this time. So much less anxiety, just embracing and enjoying the natural process, and also feeling much more joyfulness about the prospect of bringing home a newborn instead of fear.

I have about 8 1/2 weeks until my due date and am enjoying this time with just Emme and Ben.  I know that things will no doubt be crazy for awhile with an infant and readjusting to late night/early morning feedings, schedules, gear, nursing, and all that fun stuff.  I really am doing my best to treasure this little window of opportunity and soak up "Emme time."  I'm also surprised at how much of a bond I already feel with JB.  I have a lot of love for this little guy- and I guess I don't remember feeling this attached before!!  I'm typically such a thinker personality that I can really sabotage myself and take a lot of the fun out of things because I'm always processing it and making things complicated (really annoying personality trait I might add). So its neat how God just continues to pump me full of awesome hormones and happiness about this birth, and how by His goodness I've been able to sit back and relax.  I am so thrilled for the next chapter of life.

0 comments: