Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Let's be honest...

God uses our kids to refine us.  Right now I feel like I'm a garden being pruned with a weed-whacker!  I'll be the first to say that I have a tough time with change, I'm a perfectionist, and I like things to be just-so/follow a rule book (by the way who is it that wrote that rule book?)  I tend to get caught up in what I'm not doing, compare myself to others, and get discontent.  I will also say that I am a total wuss when it comes to night time sleep.  My least favorite part of having an infant is the lack of rest (particularly at night).  I get cranky, impatient, and downright grumpy at times!

Thank goodness for a little book called 10-Minute Time Outs for Moms.  It is totally saving me right now with little glimpses of hope from the Word.  Today I read about how God disciplines us so we can become more like Him. Ouch!  When life changes, boy does it send me reeling.  Pull a few creature comforts (aka sleep and showers) from this girl and I get super whiny with God.  I love the prayer from today's quiet time though.  And I am praying it over and over!

Heavenly Father,
I praise You for demonstrating tough love through Your discipline.  It's not pleasant, but it teaches me how to live.  You have a purpose: that I might share in Your holiness.  I embrace Your ways, Father, for they will bring me righteousness and peace if I allow myself to be trained by them (Hebrews 12:6-11). Amen.

I posted my struggles with piles, lack of "productivity", feeling tired, and just general crankiness on facebook today and received such encouragement from fellow moms in the trenches.  God has been good to remind me that I am in a "season" of life that won't be around forever and I do need to be thankful in all things.  A friend also shared this reminder with me:

Every day be thankful for what you have and who you are.
 
Even though I clutch my blanket and growl when the alarm rings.
Thank you, Lord, that I can hear. There are many who are deaf.
Even though I keep my eyes closed against the morning light as long as possible.
Thank you, Lord , that I can see. Many are blind.
Even though I huddle in my bed and put off rising.
Thank you, Lord, that I have the strength to rise. There are many who are bedridden.
Even though the first hour of my day is hectic, when socks are lost, toast is burned, tempers are short, and my children are so loud.
Thank you, Lord, for my family.. There are many who are lonely.
Even though our breakfast table never looks like the picture in magazines and the menu is at times unbalanced,
Thank you, Lord, for the food we have. There are many who are hungry.
Even though the routine of my job often is stressful or monotonous.
Thank you, Lord, for the opportunity to work. There are many who have no job.
Even though I grumble and bemoan my fate from day to day and wish my circumstances were not so modest.
Thank you, Lord, for life.

I also remember that saying, "A clean stable is an empty one."  I'll take the fullness of the "messes" I have around my house today and do my best to be thankful.  I'm glad God cares enough about me to not leave me as I am.  And when the day comes that I get a little more "done", get a little more sleep, and get to take a few more showers, well... I will praise Him then too.

1 comments:

Suanna said...

Praying for you, Janna. You are not alone and God is always there for you. Sometimes I pray during those night-time feedings.