Monday, September 10, 2012

Gettin' back in the groove

Ben is back to school and it is time for us to get back into more of a routine at home.  I've been challenged by a book I've been reading called A Wife After God's Own Heart. It has helped me to think once again about where I am placing my priorities, time, and efforts.  As well as asking the Lord to help me be efficient towards His service in my home first and foremost.  I think Elizabeth George is so wise- I would love to pick her brain.  I think the Lord has really given her a gift, and I always feel so blessed when I read a chapter. It's not about being perfect, but about asking my Father how I can best serve my husband and children.  It has been neat lately for me to see the joy that He is providing in that.  My heart feels full when I am spending my time focusing on them and less on some other things that had been distracting me. And boy am I easily distracted...

Some quotes I'm thinking about from the book:

  • The essential disciplines of prayer, Bible study, and worship equip us to run with vigor and stamina. Train diligently. Growing in the Lord is made up of those simple things.
  • Never be too busy to take care of your spiritual growth.
  • Pray for your husband three times a day
  • Show greater respect for your husband (am I looking when he's talking? refraining from interrupting? using sweet speech?)
  • At the first hint of self-pity or frustration, pray
  • Delayed obedience is disobedience
  • Grow in character, be content with what you have, support your husband's efforts, and be a diligent homemaker, live a simpler life, be more prayerful and creative about taking care of your family's needs at home
  • Is your gaze fixed at home? Fuss over your home and family. Take joy in being there.
  • How do we work? Heartily as unto the LORD and not unto MEN
  • It is your assignment from your Heavenly Father to teach and train your sons and daughters to respect others, to share, to be kind, to handle money properly, to work at a job, to be honest, to stay pure...
  • Pray faithfully for all family members
  • Your job from God is to help your husband, to nurture your relationship with him, to love and care for your children, and to be about the business of building your house.

0 comments: