Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Art of Simplicity

Nothing novel here, nothing new.  But lately I've felt the Lord tugging on my heart to again pursue a simple, less distracted, more focused, and intentional lifestyle.  One of the things He has been teaching me about is finding a quiet place of rest. 

Some of the Scriptures that have been particularly challenging me:

Psalm 131

O LORD, my heart is not proud, nor my eyes haughty;
Nor do I involve myself in great matters,
Or in things too difficult for me.
Surely I have composed and quieted my soul;
Like a weaned child rests against his mother,
My soul is like a weaned child within me.
O Israel, hope in the LORD
From this time forth and forever.
 
When I really examined these couple of verses, I see two parts:
1.  Letting go of the "outside" influences that often control me
2.  Pulling into the rest and security only found in the Lord, sitting before Him like a weaned child, not a "rooting" child who is looking for his next meal, but really enjoying His presence
 
When I start to look around, I get anxious, my heart is torn in many directions, and I feel dis-content.  I fear the future, wonder if I am enough (of a mom, wife, friend, etc.)  There are many opportunities to be bombarded/distracted by media, as well as plenty of "good things" that I often devote my time and energy to but end up leaving me spent.  Even the daily care of my home and family, worries about finances, my extended family, day to day concerns... these things often crowd my mind and heart and rob me of the rest that I know is granted me freely when I come before the Lord and sit quietly in His presence.
 
Matthew 11:28-30
"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."
 
Do I really, truly believe that what He says is true? That HIS burden is light?  Mine is surely heavy. I need only to abide.  When I abide in Him I can have the confidence and strength I need to fulfill whatever task He places before me for the day, and also I can say "no" to other things without feeling guilty.  When I abide daily, I can trust that He is leading me along peaceful streams,  or as the Message translation says in verse 29, "the unforced rythms of grace."
 
I have struggled often with, "Am I doing enough?" With two children at home, my time and energy are taxed.  I want to serve the Lord, I want to obey Him.  I want to love my children and husband, have a pleasant and orderly home, train my children and pray for them.  These are the basics.... and yet.... it feels like a lot for me! How can I possibly add to that x,y,and z things that I see other people doing, see on facebook or pinterest, blogs, ministry opportunities, etc.??? This gets my head spinning.
 
I am taking baby steps in this whole concept.  Abiding. Looking to the Lord to guide each decision for each day.  Each day may not be the same.  I might not be involved in as many things or "ministries" right now.  I need to trust the Lord's leadership and then walk out in faith, responding to those "unforced rhythms of grace."  I don't need to be worrying about tomorrow, or what other people will think, only if I am listening to the voice of my Savior.  I don't have to prove to God (or others) that I am worthy of His love by my deeds, thank GOD I am already accepted. 
 
"God's plan is simple: He takes responsibility for my life and service; I take responsibility to maintain my concentration on God. And when there is nothing between Jesus and me, I can calm and quiet my soul and serve simply and purely in devotion to Christ."- Cynthia Heald
 
 
 
 
 

0 comments: