Thursday, March 25, 2010

Tears in a Target Store...

Don't let the title alarm you, I'm sure most of you out there view Target as your happy place (I know I do). I use it as often as my budget will allow as an "out" from my weekly torture trips to Walmart. The tears I am referring to are those of tenderness, reflection, and joy.

Emme and I stopped in to the store this morning for a little outing and to pick up just a few things. While there, I couldn't help but browse the baby section (as they always have adorable clothes, accessories, and various and sundry things for little ones I find amusing). I pulled my cart over and looked over at the cutest little sundresses for baby girls and noticed that the sizes only went up to 12 months. For some reason this wave of emotion just rolled over me! Anything I would buy for Emme would be a 9 month outfit... leaving only one more size before she is "promoted" to the "toddler" clothing. What?!?

Emme was happily playing in the cart (which she now sits up in)! And I just couldn't help but fight back tears. She all of a sudden seems to be growing up so quickly. I will be the first to admit that the first 3 months of infancy were painfully slow for us. But now, things just keep getting more and more fun as Emme's sweet personality keeps developing.

All that to say... I just enjoy my little girl so much and every day with her is a treat. At MOMs group on Tuesday, one of our leaders again exhorted us to pray for our children. She suggested 5 specific areas.

  • Salvation- Lord, would you draw Emme's heart to YOU. Would her ears hear YOUR voice at an early age. That she would be sensitive to YOUR calling, recognize her sin and need for Jesus as Savior, and accept the free gift of Christ. Sanctify her and keep her yearning for the Lord.
  • Friends- I have heard it said, "Show me your friends, and I will show you your future." Lord, surround Emme with Christlike buddies. Peers that also seek You first and are unafraid of standing out from the world's trends. Protect her from the evil one that would try and expose her to people/things that would harm her. Help her to have discernment and be willing to stand for Truth.
  • Purity- Guard Emme's heart, O God. Help her to trust You with today as well as the uncertainties of tomorrow- seeking God's best and waiting on Him. Prepare her for her future mate and let her affections rest in You alone.
  • Schoolwork- Give her diligence, perseverance, and a desire to be obedient to authority. Give us wisdom to lead her in responsibility and good workmanship. May she seek to please and serve the Lord as the Master of her work, rather than men.
  • Church Involvement- I pray that Emme would seek to pursue a relationship with her Heavenly Father over religion. Set her heart on learning the things of eternal value. Help us to show her how to hide God's Word in her heart, discover spiritual gifts, and use the talents God has given her to benefit the Kingdom.

2 comments:

debily said...

yes, those moments are bittersweet. But the road ahead is filled with so much more as you watch your baby learn to walk, to feed herself, to make her own choices, to learn and grow and become the person God created her to be. It's okay to cry for what you leave behind...but always look forward to what lies ahead. :-) (and big girl clothes can be cute, too!)

Dana Ball said...

A heart bent towards God, eyes open to see His ways, feet quick to move in Gods leading and to trust in Him alone and not in herself. these are the things I pray for Emme each day. Thanks for sharing Janna. It brings Dad and I such joy to watch you and Ben parent and depend upon God to lead you. Oh, thanks for the tears you caused me to shed while I read this today :) Love you!