Friday, August 28, 2009

First Trip to Walmart...

I must start by saying that I would call my first solo trip to Walmart with Emme a total success. Considering that the Denton Walmart has quite the reputation for being, let's call it, "interesting" at times- and I had no way to predict how baby was going to handle the outing, I really feel quite satisfied with my experience! Emme slept the entire time, including the car ride home- so no complaints here!

I do have a few things I must share though. I know that Emme is absolutely the most adorable baby- and can draw quite the fan club in public (which I don't mind!) But is it absolutely necessary for perfect strangers to touch random children? Especially when they are clearly newborns, covered with a blanket, and happily sleeping? I had a well meaning woman come up to my cart today and start touching Emme's toes and the blanket I had over her lower half. She didn't appear to be dirty or sick, but really? I felt the sudden need to disinfect my child as well as her clothing, pacifier, and car seat--- I was already nervous about her just setting foot in a Walmart for Pete's sake! I just never know how to handle people... you just want to blurt out, "You can look, but you can't touch!" :)

And one more funny thing- the guy that was checking us out was full of conversation and had lots of stories to tell. As I am about to pay and leave, he mentions that his wife is expecting and they just had an ultrasound to find out the gender of the baby. I replied, "Oh that's nice- boy or girl?" He responds, "It's a girl... pause... I mean, it's a boy! Crap!" Just made me laugh, and I wanted to say "Don't worry I won't tell you're wife... and you have a few more months to work on your response to that question." Funny stuff. Good times at Walmart...

0 comments: