Sunday, March 18, 2012
Posted by The O's at 10:08 PM
Thursday, March 15, 2012
So lately it was becoming apparent that Emme was ready to make the transition from nap time, to room time. Why you ask? Well she was waking up quite a bit in the middle of the night and appeared to be wide awake. Also it was becoming quite the undertaking to get her to actually go to bed willingly. I remember not wanting to go to bed as a child, but it was seriously getting ridiculous- and we were having to discipline her way more than was probably necessary. Also naptime was involving a lot of rituals with singing and books and such- all things that are great, but now that JB is getting older and needing me to attend to him more with napping, this was becoming a bit problematic.
So Ben and I talked about it and decided mutually that it was time to make her feel a whole lot more tired hehe. It was clear to both of us that our days of Emme actually sleeping during naptime were numbered. One of my friends had told me about something she saw on pinterest called "naptime bins" (I don't do pinterest... another post for another day haha) so I was thankful for the cute and practical idea she shared. I went to Target and got 4 bins filled with little things from the dollar section and a new set of blocks that I thought Emme would enjoy. I also filled the ipod with fun music (as opposed to the more "lethargic" set I have for her night time) and tried to make Emme really excited about the fact that she didn't really need to nap any more- she could just play quietly and enjoy some time alone in her room (What 2 year old doesn't want that, right?!?).
I wasn't too sure how it would all work out, but.... so far so good! We set the alarm on the ipod for 2 hours and when it goes off, she can come out of her room. We are on day 4 and Emme has been happy as a lark. Although when you ask her if she likes it, her reply is, "Not so much" (I had to laugh at that!) She has enjoyed playing with her crayons, stickers, blocks, playdough, and other toys from the play room that she hasn't seen in awhile, as well as the new little items I picked up for her. She has been sleeping 100% better at night, and we have had MUCH less disciplining to do, which has been nice! I am learning that kids = constant change. Something I'm admittedly not great at, but becoming more adapted to :) And God continues to refine me spiritually through my children, which is a bonus that while uncomfortable lots of the time, I know is for my good and His glory!
Posted by The O's at 1:30 PM
Whatcha doin' these days, JB?
- Finding your fingers! They are pretty much always in your mouth getting chewed and drooled upon.
- Getting teeth? Possibly... your sister got them at about 4 1/2 months- and you have been chewing away on pretty much everything. I'm pretty sure I see a little white bump in one spot on your bottom gums, so I'll just go ahead and predict that by 5 months you will have one or two.
- Rolling over from back to belly and belly to back. Especially when there is something just out of your reach that you need to get to, or if something interesting is on TV ;) or you know, just cuz hehe
- Laughing like crazy- you are ticklish pretty much everywhere
- Eating every 3-4 hours during the day. It really just depends. Naps have been sort of neither here nor there lately so it depends on when you wake up. You usually take a 1.5-2 hour nap at some point and a couple of 35-40 minute naps at some point.
- Sleeping from 8 pm to 8 am with no feeds. Woo hoo!
- Sitting up in the bumbo seat. You still prefer the play mat to any other contraption but occasionally you like to sit with us so you can see the action more closely.
- Growing like a weed. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that, but here are the stats: 16.4 lbs, 25 inches long... and perfectly healthy!
- You were dedicated at church last weekend. It was fun to show you off in your super cute sweater vest, and thank God publicly and entrust you to His all-encompassing care in front of our friends. We pray that the Lord will move swiftly and boldly in your heart to know Him soon!
Posted by The O's at 1:00 PM
Wednesday, March 7, 2012
At 2 1/2 years old I figured it was time to let Emme speak for herself! I enjoyed asking her these simple questions. It was hilarious (and yet totally in her nature) that she had no trouble answering without any hesitation. She's always been a kiddo that likes what she likes.
What is your favorite color?
"Pink. What is your favorite color?" to which I responded, "Purple!" and was still amazed that she threw the ball back in my court... fyi she asked each question right back at me and then when I answered she would respond, "Oh, Ok!" :)
What is your favorite song?
"Jesus loves me, rock." (Rockabye Baby)
What is your favorite food?
"Messican food. Cheese and wockamole."
What is your favorite book?
"Tea wif Wooby." (Tea For Ruby)
Where do you like to go?
Who are your friends?
"Yaya and Bubba." (Rylan and Ransom aka Bubba) I asked, "Anyone else?" She replied, "Nope!" Lol
What are you learning?
"Jesus." I promise I didn't rig that- but I will say it is most likely due to the number of conversations/heart to hearts she and I have had lately about Jesus helping us to obey, asking Jesus to help our hearts, and praying to Jesus. If there is one thing I've learned lately it's that I am in more need of JESUS every day!! And I can't wait till Emme knows Him as her Savior too!
Posted by The O's at 11:55 AM
Monday, March 5, 2012
It's funny how the longer I've been on this journey of motherhood the more I have begun to realize that there are tons of ups and downs, highs and lows, imperfections (in me, my husband, my kids), unbelievable joys and moments of sheer happiness, and days when it seems nothing goes right. I guess that is life, right? But sometimes when you are just in the 4 walls of your house things get magnified. It can be hard to see the forest for the trees. Also I have learned that in different stages of motherhood you have less or more time for really digging into the Word. Some days when both kids get a long afternoon nap I am able to spend more time, and other days I sort of squander that time with mindless activities to "escape." Other days it's more of a verse in the morning, lots and lots of prayers, a quick devotion here or there. Anyway, I'm so glad that on the roller coaster of life God is the force that steadies my heart. He is good, always! He loves me and my family, always! He has a plan for us, always! He steadies me.
Steady My Heart
Wish it could be easy
Why is life so messy
Why is pain a part of us
There are days I feel like
Nothing ever goes right
Sometimes it just hurts so much
But You're here
I know I can trust You
Even when it hurts
Even when it's hard
Even when it all just falls apart
I will run to You
Cause I know that You are
Lover of my soul
Healer of my scars
You steady my heart
I'm not gonna worry
I know that You got me
Right inside the palm of your hand
Each and every moment
What's good and what gets broken
Happens just the way that You plan
And I will run to You
You're my refuge in Your arms
And I will sing to You
Cause of everything You are
Posted by The O's at 12:31 PM
Thursday, March 1, 2012
And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ- to the glory and praise of God.
Posted by The O's at 1:59 PM