Thursday, September 1, 2011

Faith Like a Child

It has been really eye opening lately to see just how much Emme is able to communicate.  For so long, you say things to your kids, hoping and praying that some of it is being absorped.  I feel like I am always praying for Emme to have a heart that it is sensitive to the things of the Lord, that she would have an intimate relationship with Christ in a personal way even from an early age, and that she would understand that obedience brings blessing, not that it is just a set of rules from Mommy and Daddy.

All of that to say God has really started showing me that He is working His ways in our little ones lives, even if at times it is hard to see and you wonder when there will be any fruit.  I wanted to document just a few of the "revelations" I have been noticing.  Not because there is any glory in those for Ben and I, but because we rejoice that even in our sinful, selfish, imperfections- Christ will still make Himself known to the smallest of these.

Emme has started to use the word "Obey" more frequently.  Like, "Mommy or Daddy said, Obey" or "I obey/Emme obey."  That alone to me has been such an encouragement.  One of the things that Ben and I both pray for her is that she will have  a clear understanding of the place of authority in her life, that it comes from God, and that as her parents we are a steward of that authority.  I have been trying to use this phrase with her (I know that I can't expect 1st time obedience on every occasion with a 2 year old) to help her remember that obedience needs to happen right away because whatever it is could be important for safety, or removing her from harm, etc. "Obey, Obey, Without Delay!"  It is really cute when I hear her say "Wifout Deway!"

She has also started saying, "I go church." many times when we get in the car :) I love that she enjoys church and also that she is understanding that it is a normal part of our routine.  The other day she was in the guest bathroom and happened to pull out a cross key chain from a bathroom drawer.  She picked it up and said, "Jesus on Cross."  Wow.  It just baffles me that even at 2, she is picking up on Bible stories and truths that we are repeating, even if it seems at the time that she isn't getting it at all.

Emme also loves, loves music.  She has memorized Jesus Loves Me, and we sing it together every night before bed.  Oh  I love to hear that little voice singing such precious words!!  She also started saying, "I got joy joy joy in my heart!" "Daddy got joy joy joy in my heart!" "Mommy got joy joy joy in my heart!" So funny.  It is just neat to see God working Himself into her being. 

I am encouraged that God cares for these little ones.  He desires after them, just as He desires after us and wants us to know Him more deeply. 

0 comments: