Thursday, May 1, 2008

Jazzercise "Junkie" turned "Flunkie"

So I'm writing to blow off a little frustration with myself. I am admittedly a Jazzercise Junkie. Those of you who are into Jazzercise probably understand this term. It is given to those people that attend regularly and the instructors can call you by name... if you aren't there-- they wonder what is wrong!

I decided to turn my passion into something more... I have decided to try out to be a Jazzercise instructor. It may sound easy, but my friends, it is no simple task. Because Jazzercise is a franchise- I actually buy into the company and become a franchise part owner. It will be a great Tax write-off, and investment. Besides the financial commitment, there is a staunch try out procedure. On the weekend of June 13-15th- I will travel to Dallas to audition. There I take a written exam (on exercise physiology and anatomy), turn in CPR certification, take several classes, and then perform 2 out of the 10 routines I have learned ahead of time. These are pulled at random, and you have to teach them to the other people that are trying out, who act as your students.

All of that said, I have spent the last several weeks learning how to teach the routines I thought I knew. It is completely different when you are standing on a stage, listening to the music, many people standing and staring at you for direction. Not to mention I am somewhat of a "spatially challenged" person- and I am trying to say "Grapevine right" when my body is moving left. You also have to make sure you cue far enough in advance that people get the direction- but not too far ahead.

So today I feel I had my first flop as a future instructor. I have been practicing and practicing the routines, and my mentor, Anne, had been preparing me to get on stage and do the real thing for a real audience. When I tried my hand at it today-- well, I have to say I just need to keep my chin up and keep trying. I came home sobbing, feeling somewhat embarrassed and thinking that some of these people might not be too excited about the new instructor joining the team! It seemed that every thing I had practiced flew right out of my head. I know that my "Type A" personality doesn't leave much room for error, but it is hard for me to give myself any grace when I feel there are people paying to have a good workout!! :)

So my husband has graciously offered to be my guinea pig student and let me practice in front of him so I can get my jitters out, and hopefully not feel like such a "Jazzercise Flunkie" next time. If any of you are interested in joining me for some practice sessions, let me know. I could really use the help and experience from my friends.

So if any

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Janna,
I would love to be a Jazzercise guinea pig for you.... I wish we were closer!! I don't know of a single active Jazzercise program in the entire area here. It sounds awesome! I know you will get more comfortable and will be a wonderful instructor. Work it girl!
Love you:)
Allison