Friday, January 11, 2013

Christmas Catch-Up

Since the New Year is here, I'd say it's about time I finished up with Christmas posts ;)

Mom and Dad came in the Thursday before Christmas.  It was an especially joyful time to have everyone together.  Just a couple of days after they arrived, we learned that my Granny had passed away.  It was bittersweet as she had been battling multiple health conditions and had lived a long and happy life.  My brother was able to come down to be here for a family memorial, so while we didn't like the circumstances- it was really nice to have my whole family (sans my sweet sis-in-law and nephew) in town.

While everyone was here we did lots of fun little things around the house like playing games and baking Christmas cookies.  Mom and I also had fun doing stocking stuffer shopping for the kids at the Dollar Tree. I'm always amazed at the awesome stuff I can find there when I take the time. 

Ben and Pappy also took Emme to Going Bonkers one day and they really had a great time.  One day we went to the Christmas Tree farm that they have at the same place that does the pumpkin patch in the Fall.  They don't charge for parking this time of year but have lots of the same fun activities for the kids.  Emme loved the bounce house and climbing up to the top of the "hay mountain."

On Christmas Eve we went to the service at DBC and then had Ben's parents over for a Christmas celebration.  They got JB his favorite gift by far, which was a little Mickey car that has buttons you can push.  We were shocked to see him mount it and push forward and ride it all by himself (what?! this from the child that doesn't walk yet). 

Christmas Day was a really fun and laid back day.  We hung around the house and my mom made home-made cinnamon rolls for us. Yummy!!  The kids opened their stockings and presents and played with new toys.  It was delightful .  Then we made a movie day of it.  Mom and I took the late morning/early afternoon shift.  We had to laugh because we were teasing... "WOW! This is such SNOWY weather we're having!"  It was pretty much pouring rain outside, but no snow.  When we came out of Les Miserables at around 3 pm... it was like a Winter Wonderland had come upon Denton.  What do you know, sometimes the weather man is right!  The boys went to go see a movie during the evening after bedtime too.  They braved the icey roads together. 

Emme and JB were sort of unimpressed. I think it was too cold for them! I know that sounds terrible considering we don't get snow very often. I think JB is too little to get it, and Emme went out with Ben several times- but once she figured out that making a snow man wasn't an option because the snow wouldn't stick, she was back inside. What can I say? :)

My family was able to stay through the New Year and we soaked up some much needed family and couple time.  Ben and I celebrated our 11th anniversary with an overnight date to Frisco, and enjoyed a movie, shopping, eating out, and lots of coffee!  It was a very refreshing time and gave us a good jump start for 2013.























0 comments: