Monday, April 2, 2012

Easter Conversations: From the mouths of babes

Holidays have been fun this year because Emme is starting to understand more about them, and specifically how Christ is the reason we celebrate Christmas and Easter.  Last year I bought a set of Resurrection Eggs at Mardel, mostly last year she would just like to open them and take the objects in and out (mind you... she still enjoys doing that... just understands the story a little better!) The eggs have things like coins, linen, a miniature donkey, dice, etc. And the last egg is empty representing the empty tomb.

So before bed each night we have been going thru an egg which reveals a segment of the Easter story and Bible verses.  Emme has really seemed to enjoy the process and now we have had time to go thru it twice so she is starting to remember the order of the eggs and anticipates what will come next.  We also have a few Easter books that go beyond the bunnies and candy that she and I like to read together.  This week at church on Sunday, the kids made little palm branches.  So I think all in all, Emme is starting to see the pieces come together and is forming an understanding of how Christ came to earth and died for us and rose again.... exciting stuff as a parent to see the wheels turning... and of course praying that the Lord would soften her heart to the things of Him.

So we were in the car today and Emme started telling me how the people were saying, "Hosannah!" and how Jesus was riding on a donkey, and he came to die on the cross.  We talked about how he rose again and forgives us of our sin! And then I sort of broke into a renditions of Michael W. Smith's old song, "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord, Hosannah, Hosannah, Hosannah!" and Emme was singing along with me.  It was one of those times as a parent that it is really exciting and fun- as you get to plant that seed and ask the Holy Spirit to water it and grow and nurture it!

Emme was saying, "Jesus comes to my heart.  God is in my heart." Then she sort of started singing it... "God is in my heart, God is in my heart... Jesus.... Jesus....." It made me smile.  And then as if to remind me that she is two, I hear in a sing-songy voice, "... aaand I love candy... caanndy...." Hahaha!!!

So I'll take those spirtitual conversations as often as the Lord will give them to us- and also enjoy my sweet little girl, and her sweet tooth :)

0 comments: